2.07.2010

A first time for everything


The first time I traveled overseas, I was so excited and nervous at the same time that I made myself air-sick. I can't describe exactly what I felt as the crowded two-aisled airbus started its descent over a new land. I think it was a mixture of fear of the unknown and the rush of doing something I'd never done before but always wanted to. This was similar to what I felt when I made creme brulee for the first time. Yes, really.


This is how I feel about my culinary concoctions. The combining and mixing of ingredients--simple and plain though they are of themselves--to create something as delightful and sweet and sophisticated as a creme brulee gives me a satisfaction I can't get anywhere else. Except for maybe on a trip across the sea.


Although the brulee is probably one of the most basic of desserts and one of the first culinary students learn, it's also classic, versatile, and finishes off just about any meal quite nicely. (And, you'll notice, I can finish it off quite nicely, too.) Its mellow vanilla flavor and light, creamy texture make the perfect companions for its carmelized sugary top, which somehow reminds me of marshmallows lightly toasted over a campfire. Even though it makes me as giddy and breathless as I get when I go to a far-off place, it still tastes kind of like...

Home.

Creme Brulee
Adapted from Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats

Creme brulee is relatively simple to make, although you have to be careful about a few things. First, don't add the warm cream all at once to the egg yolks. You may end up with scrambled brulee. Also, remember to only add the yolks (the yellow part) to the mixture. The best way to separate the yolk from the white is to crack the egg, keeping the yolk in one half of the shell, and then transfer it to the other half of the shell while holding it over a bowl and allowing the white to spill out.

1 quart heavy cream
1 or 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
6 large egg yolks
2 quarts hot water

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the cream, vanilla bean(s), and the pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover, and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean(s).

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually. Pour the liquid into 6 (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme is set but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.

Remove the creme from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to browning the sugar on top. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup sugar equally among the 6 dishes and spread evenly on top. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Or, preheat the broiler, set the ramekins on a baking dish, and let the sugar carmelize, about 1 to 2 minutes. Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving or place in the refrigerator for a couple minutes. Top with fresh berries and/or fruit.

Serves 6.

No comments: